Sunday, May 17, 2009

What a week!



I am so glad this week is finally over! I had two secrets I was keeping and this week just seemed to drag on. My Dad turned 60 on Mother's Day and my mom, sister, and I decided to have a surprise Birthday party for him on Thursday night. My Dad doesn't like attention and does not like people to make a fuss over him so we thought he might be a little annoyed with us but 60 is big one and thought we should celebrate. My Dad has been very fortunate to have great friends and they have a friendship that has spanned 50 years. So lying to my Dad when he asked me what I had going on this week was secret #1. My brother Ryan moved to Alaska to start school the end of April and his wife Megan stayed behind to work until June 12 when she can start her job in Alaska. Well Ryan got up to Alaska and as it turned out his program was pushed back and he didn't start school until May 18th so he has been up in Alaska all alone knowing nobody. Mother's Day Sunday his wife came over and Megan and I were talking and I reminded her that he still had a round trip buddy pass from last month and asked her if she would want to fly him down this week since he didn't have school so he could be here for my Dad's party and so we called Ryan and conspired and decided not to tell anybody and surprise them all at the party. Ryan flew down Monday night on a red-eye and that was secret #2. I was so excited for my Dad's party and very excited for everybody's reaction when Ryan was there. The party was a hit and my Dad was very surprised and both my parents were shocked and very excited to have Ryan there.
These are some of my Dad's good friends socializing before the party Robert and Catherine Chatfield and Layne and Diane Downs. The awesome Birthday cake above was made by one of my Dad's coworkers Larry Newton's wife Geri.

1 comments:

Leslie said...

Those are the best secrets I can think of. I'm glad your dad got the surprise party, he is a great guy and really deserves the best.