Thursday, June 10, 2010

The Belly Fat Cure


So my new favorite book I have been reading and experementing with this summer is The Belly Fat Cure but Jorge Cruise. I love, love, love this book and all of the recipes I have tried so far. This is really not a diet but a way of living. I know all diets say that but this really is. I find this so simple and satisfying. Basically everyday you eat 6 servings of carbs and 15 grams of sugar. One serving of carbs is anything that has between 5-20 carbs, 21-40 =2, and 40-60=3. I was amazed at what I was putting into my body even when I thought I was eating healthy. I have started reading labels like a mad man and looking how much sugar is in everything I eat. The other day I grabbed some Yoplait 99% fat free yogurt and I look at the lable and it has 27 grams of sugar in just one little yogurt!!! I love fruit and even though fruit is good for you it has lots of sugar so I have to decide where I want my sugar to come from. One banana has 7 grams of sugar. This book has 5 weeks of menus and over 100 recipes. One of the menus is called quick and easy and it is for days that you are on the run and has fast food things to eat and they are not salads. You can go to Taco Bell and get 2 crunchy tacos supreme, Carl's Jr and have a spicy chicken sandwich or a jumbo chili dog, KFC grilled chicken breast w/ mashed potatoes and gravy and green beans, etc. I love that you don't have to leave out the mayo or resort to the fat-free or light versions. I have come to learn that the more fat-free or low fat the more sugar it has. I have lost 4 pounds in a one week just by following the 6/15 ratio. I love that I can eat pancakes for breakfast, eggs, bacon, toast, I can eat pizza for lunch, and I can even eat a hamburger. One of my favorite things is a margherita pizza. I take 2 tomatoes and put them in my food processor and crush them and add a little italian seasoning for my sauce. I then put it on a whole wheat pita and put fresh mozarella cheese on and top with 4 slices of a roma tomatoe, a little evoo, fresh parmesan cheese and some basil and bake it for 10 minutes. You can make a meat version, veggie version, hawaiian version or whatever you like. I have made some amazing enchiladas, stir-fry, barbequed hamburgers, brownies, and pasta. One of my favorite things in the whole wide world is chips and salsa but I have always felt bad eating them before but now I don't. I used to always resort to the soft taco because it had "less fat" than the crunchy but I have learned the white flour and the sugar in the tortilla is worse for the belly than the corn tortilla.

The best part about this is that my kids will eat it and they have loved everything I make and they love making their own pizzas. This has been awesome because having a child with diabetes this way of eating has kept her blood sugar in check because we are eliminating those foods that cause the blood sugar to spike.

1 comments:

Emily said...

You look skinnier every time I see you!! Way to go!